About the Role
Novartis provides healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies worldwide. Our broad portfolio includes innovative pharmaceuticals and oncology medicines. Our mission is to discover new ways to improve and extend people's lives. Our vision is to be a trusted leader in changing the practice of medicine. Our strategy is to use science-based innovation to deliver better outcomes for patients in growing areas of healthcare.
Our Innovative Medicines Division is a world leader in offering innovation-driven, patent-protected medicines to patients and physicians. The Innovative Medicines Division conducts research, develops, manufactures, distributes and sells patented pharmaceuticals.
Timing: as soon as possible (expected start date: preferably January or February 2024)
Duration: 6 months
The Novartis Development and IM Legal Team is looking for university graduates for traineeships in the Global and Swiss legal departments in Basel. The traineeships offer an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience in a large international pharmaceutical corporation. Main responsibilities include:
• Support the legal counsels in their daily work on a wide range of legal matters and projects in areas such as contract law, commercial law, licensing, pharmaceutical/healthcare laws, anti-trust law and transactions
• Legal research and drafting documents on various legal issues and disputes in private and public law areas
• Support a diverse range of development, regulatory, digital and commercial matters relating to the development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products
• Assist with the drafting, negotiation and review of a variety of agreements (such as licensing, research, collaboration, distribution, confidentiality, service, consultancy and leasing contracts)
• Support diverse range of legal department projects, e.g. contract templates, legal trainings, global guidelines and policies, global legal research projects, etc., and interact with Novartis global, regional and country legal network and other business stakeholders.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you'll bring to the role
• Education: Completed Master-level Law degree with above-average grades. Bachelor Law degree should be from Swiss university (sound Swiss law understanding required), Master-level Law degree can be from universities abroad (from Swiss university preferred)
• Languages: Good German skills (B2) and English skills
• Experience/Professional requirements: ideally, you have already gained your first professional or internship experience.
Potential candidates should have an interest in legal issues in a major international corporation, pronounced commitment and the will and motivation to discover and learn new things.
Please submit a cover letter that includes your motivation for the position and from when you will be available. Thank you.
Why Novartis: Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives and our vision is to become the most valued and trusted medicines company in the world. How can we achieve this? With our people. It is our associates that drive us each day to reach our ambitions. Be a part of this mission and join us! Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
Accessibility and accommodation
Novartis is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to all
individuals. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, or in order to receive more detailed
information about the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your
contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network