About the Role
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and talented individual for an internship opportunity in the field of analytical method development for the characterization and quantification of oligonucleotides using liquid chromatography with inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (LC-ICP-MS).
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge research in the field of bioanalytical chemistry in pharmaceutical environment.
Preferred start date 01.03. 2024
Duration: 5-8 months
• Develop a method for the separation, detection and characterization of oligonucleotides using liquid chromatography with inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (LC-ICP-MS).
• Validate and optimize the method for the analysis of oligonucleotides using in vitro samples from complex biological matrices (plasma, liver tissue etc).
• Evaluate potential of this method for quantitative assessment of drug metabolites.
• Apply developed ICP-MS method to real life in vivo samples of ongoing projects.
• Strong theoretical and scientific background in liquid chromatography (e.g. UHPLC, RP-HPLC), mass spectrometry (e.g. HRMS, MS/MS) and in sample preparation of biological fluids (e.g. SPE) and the openness to learn new techniques and deepen your knowledge.
• Experience in using and maintaining analytical equipment (e.g. LC, MS) and the motivation to work in a laboratory environment with a team of dedicated scientists are considered essential for this role.
• Hands-on experience with ICP-MS would be an asset
• Proficiency in English, with German skills are advantageous.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
• Student currently enrolled in a Masters degree program in a Life Science discipline (e.g. Pharmacy, Chemistry, Food Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Bioengineering etc.) or recent graduate of a Life Sciences Master program looking to gain first experience
• You have a creative mindset, a self-driven attitude, a high level of learning agility, you are eager to expand your knowledge and above all you value collaboration in teams.
• You have strong problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.
• Knowledge of analytical characterization methods for oligonucleotides is preferred.
Why Novartis: Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people's lives and our vision is to become the most valued and trusted medicines company in the world. How can we achieve this? With our people. It is our associates that drive us each day to reach our ambitions. Be a part of this mission and join us! Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
Accessibility and accommodation
Novartis is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to all
individuals. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, or in order to receive more detailed
information about the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your
contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network